Child abduction – International and Within Australia

Child abduction – International and Within Australia

Abduction occurs when a child is taken away from a parent without permission, whether within Australia or internationally. As party to The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, Australian law has in place several mechanisms that may be applied when your child has been abducted.

Here at Barclay Churchill, we recognise that having a child go missing is an emotionally stressful experience, and so our experienced team is ready to act with speed and diligence to address the situation.

If your child has been taken from you or has not been returned to your care within Australia, an application can be made to the Court seeking a recovery order.  A recovery order can either require the child be returned, or it may authorise a person, such as the police, to take appropriate action to recover and return the child.

Where a recovery order fails to recover the child, an application for a publication order can be made. This order allows photographs and other relevant details of the case to be publishedin order to locate the missing child.

If you require assistance in recovering your missing child, or have further questions regarding international child abduction and the process of recovery, please do not hesitate to contact us.